Her Story       Restoration      History      Aboard Terry-Deb      Contact Me      Back to Main




Like any other wooden boat restoration, Terry-Deb's was never complete. I remember every winter there was a project to be completed on or for the boat. Dad would be hard at work in the garage at home building masts, doors and dash boards. However, before there could be yearly upkeep, Terry-Deb had to be taken literally from the ground up by Dad and Grandpa, including major systems upgrades and new wood in much of the boat.

After her purchase in the summer of 1974, Terry-Deb was pampered like she hadn't been in a long time. Decks were recanvased, the roof of the superstructure was replaced and recanvased and she was eventually repowered. It would be years before she was ready for active cruising and even though Mom and Dad were married in 1975, Mom wasn't allowed to see the boat until it was completed.

Terry-Deb was out of the water for a month's time in 1977 and again for a similar stint in 1981. During these haul outs, she had eight planks replaced on her starboard side, her bow was extensively refastened, her hull and bootstripe were painted and her propeller was replaced. Terry-Deb also was modified with the installation of a Ford 289 V8 power plant, replacing the original cracked six cylinder Hercules. This engine swap necessitated the installation of a second exhaust port through her transom as well.

Terry-Deb's 289 ran for the first time on February 18, 1978. There still exists a recording of this monumentous event. Only 5 minutes long, the tape documents all the false starts, the near exhaustion of the battery and the eventual roar of the engine. After having a new propeller installed, Terry-Deb made her first trip under her own power the following May.

Terry-Deb's exterior wood work was refinished in 1983 using Chris-Craft mahogany stain. Her hull was painted again and bootstripe changed to red. Along with that, the winter project of the year was the construction of a mahogany mast that was able to step and allow for the nine-foot Livingston dinghy to come off the roof. This being extremely difficult for Mom and Dad to do, a seven foot Livingston was later stored on chalks on the transom step. It helped with the overall lines of the boat as well.

The winter of 1984 came the construction of a new mahogany entrance door. With her original door long gone and a temporary plywood door in its place, the new door had an original Chris-Craft style flapped screen, which proved very worthwhile during our hot summer cruises.

The galley was updated with new cabinetry in the winter of 1985. Constructed so it could more conveniently store our wares during extended cruises, the galley was better able to serve our family of four. The countertop was replaced with Corian and a new pump faucet was installed, as the tanks were no longer gravity fed since being moved below the forward V-berth.

The winter of 1987-88 was the time in which Terry-Deb's helm was completely restored with all new bright work, rechromed trim and refurbished original Chris-Craft gauges. The helm had been changed to accommodate the new morse-type controls that were installed with the 289. The refinished helm was made from the original pieces as templates to retain the Chris-Craft design while maintaining the new engine controls.

As I said before, the restoration of any wooden boat is never complete, and Terry-Deb was no exception. For everything done on Terry-Deb, we all learned something about maintaining a wooden boat and Maranee has certainly benefited from this acquired knowledge. At least I can rest assured that Dad and Grandpa's restoration got her at least 15 more years of life she was surely not going to have had they not bought her that summer day in 1974. May the story of Terry-Deb inspire dreams and hopes for a new generation of classic boat enthusiasts.